Iraqi refugee achieves university dream and now wants to work for the NHS

A young Iraqi refugee who fled to the UK alone is on course to achieve his dream of working for the NHS. Aiman Aziz, now 25, travelled to the UK aged only 18 in 2015 and spoke little English when he arrived. 

After achieving his GCSE maths and English qualifications in London, he moved up north where he attended Middlesbrough College and is now on track to study in health care at university. 

Despite being passionate in science and studying for his exams back in Iraq, Aiman's educational records were completely destroyed during conflict in the country. However, young Aiman was determined to make his dream a reality and enrolled at the Westminster Education Service. 

Aiman said: "I came to the UK speaking very little English and I wanted to study. I knew that I wanted to build my life here and give back to everyone who had been so kind to me. It was then that I decided I wanted to work for the NHS.” 

The budding scientist moved to Middlesbrough where he enrolled onto the Access to Higher Education Diploma in Science at Middlesbrough College. 

He picked the Teesside town after connecting with members of the local Iraqi community on Facebook, a friend recommended the college to Aiman and he said 'it was the place' for him once he started attending his classes. 

Describing Middlesbrough College as his 'friend', Aiman said: "At a time when I was still processing some of the trauma I had been through in my past, the college gave me all the support I could need. My tutors have been amazing and helped me to fall back in love with science." 

"I had never done assignments before, but they guided me through each task and helped me to achieve, even if it meant staying back hours after class had finished to support me. I’ve gained a lot of skills and confidence." 

Through his course at Middlesbrough College, Aiman achieved an overall distinction grade and has now been accepted into the University of Sunderland, where he will study for a degree in Pharmacy. 

He added: "As a child I knew I wanted to work in the medical field and I’m over the moon that this dream is finally becoming a reality. “My advice to anyone who wants to return to education or needs to because of situations that are out of their control is to go for it and ask for help – nothing is impossible!” 

Although he regularly keeps in touch with his family back in Iraq, Aiman has not seen them in almost seven years. He explained that he misses his family very much, but is thankful for the support he has received whilst living and studying in Middlesbrough. Aiman said: "I’ve met so many friends and feel incredibly happy to be part of the Middlesbrough community – it has been like home for me." 

Aiman’s tutor, Peter Carr, said: “We’re enormously proud of Aiman and all he’s achieved. "His determination in the face of all he has been through is inspirational, and we know he’s going to have a very bright future ahead of him.” 

by Eden Lewis

Post a Comment

0 Comments