Great Manchester Run 2015: Thousands take on 10km course

Manchester 10K run pic by Hussein Al-alak
Thousands of people lined up on Sunday, with some of the world's best-known distance runners for the Great Manchester Run. An estimated 40,000 took part in the 10km event, raising money for various charities. 

Legendary runner Haile Gebrselassie took part in the men's elite race, with Stephen Sambu taking the win. Betsy Saina won the elite women's race. The race, which is Europe's biggest 10km event, started as a legacy event after the 2002 Commonwealth Games. 

Celebrity runners included actress Denise Welch, boxer Anthony Crolla and BBC Breakfast presenters Louise Minchin and Bill Turnbull. Former Everton, Sunderland and Ireland footballer Kevin Kilbane, who ran for the Down's Syndrome Association, said: 

"I think my time was 42 minutes, so I'm happy with that. "It's a wonderful atmosphere here, it's great to be a part of these sort of events." 

Manchester 10K run pic by Hussein Al-alak
Starting in the city centre, the course headed towards Manchester United's Old Trafford home before passing MediaCityUK in Salford Quays. It then looped back along Chester Road and ended on Deansgate. 

Colin Pilkington, 79, took part in the run for the Christie Hospital after losing both his wife Eileen and his son-in-law to cancer. He said: "When I'm running I picture her face in the clouds and that's what spurs me on. 

"I said I would run until I'm 80, so I've another one to do next year." 

by the BBC and pictures from Iraq Solidarity News (Al-Thawra)

Post a Comment

0 Comments